Saturday, November 3, 2007

Cesare Pietroiusti, James Morrison, Pete Drungle, and Cyrus Amundson in Queens

Tonight I went to a performance at the Texas Firehouse in Queens.

I had never been there before.

The show was called
"If I See You Around Here Again, I'm Going to Call the Cops. No, Really... "

James Morrison was performing a piece called 'In Memory of'

Tied up on stage - he silkscreened these cards and then dropped them to the floor.

I spoke with him for a minute through his cage.

Unrelated to James' performance, someone was playing the song Heroin by the Velvet Underground.

That song always reminds me of sitting in my room in high school. I couldn't wait to move to New York and go to weird parties. I can picture exactly what I thought it would be like...

Later on I went to the Sculpture Center to see Cesare Pietroiusti's video. Projected against a vaulted wall in the basement, the video was shot in 2006 during the eviction of the Angela Mai squat in Rome.

Cesare went into the basement and tried to break through a coridoor wall.

"Are you looking for something?" asks a voice off camera. "No," he answers.

"But are you searching?" the same man asks.

"Perhaps in order to know what is on the other side." says Cesare.

It's weird because earlier today, I was at the site of another mass eviction. 1717 Troutman in Queens.

My friend Cyrus Amundson was being evicted from his home along with hundreds of other people.

This was the final hour before they were locked out of the building forever.

Cyrus made an installation in his studio with some of his paintings that he could not move or store.

I couldn't take a picture of the scene we witnessed as we were leaving. A march of kids and parents, taking the last of what they could carry down a jammed staircase and out into the street a line of rental trucks.

Upstairs from Cesare's piece,

Pete Drungle was performing 'Continuous 24-Hour Solo Piano Improvisation (Daylight Savings Mode)"

It was almost midnight and I was the only other person in the room.

Pete seemed unaffected by fatigue.

In a way it reminded me of James and Cyrus and Cesare. Bound to perform under the conditions of the modern age...

When I got home, my roommates were watching 'A Clockwork Orange" and I arrived just as Alex was being kicked out of his house.

His ex friends had all turned cop.

And they beat the crap out of him in the woods. 'my god' I thought. 'is this what we are coming to?'

But remember, that in the very end of the movie, Alex returns to the site of his most hideous crime,

and ends up getting everything he wants.

No comments: