Saturday, November 17, 2007

‘I AM NOT ALLAN KAPROW (but I could be confused for him at a distance.)’

Or,
‘Why reinvent the wheel?’ an argument in favor of doing it again
Or,
‘A Few Thoughts on my ‘FLUIDS’ (Allan Kaprow, 1967) reinvention for the Performa>07 biennial at Cooper Union.’



By way of introduction I was approached by the Performa>07 biennial and asked if I was interested in doing an Allan Kaprow piece in conjunction with a number of other Kaprow related events they were sponsoring (18 Happenings in 6 Parts, Push and Pull). After some research and reflection I proposed doing ‘FLUIDS’ with a group of Cooper Union students.

After deciding to do ‘FLUIDS’ and setting in motion the various agencies required to realize it, the Kaprow estate contacted us with the language we were to use: it was to be a ‘reinvention’. Once invented, twice . . .. ‘reinvented’? With its emphasis on an initial historical moment it deepened an already vexing question about doing a performance/happening/event that has already occurred – where on the spectrum of participation and authorship does a ‘reinvention’ lie? If I tried to imagine the line of authorship with, on the one hand, the most traditional form of copying – the easel painters in the Metropolitan of Art or a cover band - with their concern for making an exact replica and on the other end of that line the appropriation or ‘revisitation’ artist (how to describe Marina Abramovic’s ‘7 easy pieces’?) – where an original piece is made subservient to a new set of artistic demands – I wondered where would ‘FLUIDS’ lie. Worried that both Performa>07 and the Kaprow estate wanted a replica of the piece, and knowing that I would never be able to provide it, I was reminded of what Steve Martin said about translation: that it was like a bad marriage. First it’s about contrived fidelity, then it’s about concealed transgressions, finally – it’s about survival.


While I was parsing this dilemma, I attended a panel discussion with Stephanie Rosenthal, Irving Sandler and the artist Paul McCarthy on Kaprow’s work. The issue of this new practice of revisiting Kaprow’s work came up as Stephanie Rosenthal had just curated a major show of his work at the Haus der Kunst in Munich - and had ‘reinvented’ a number of his events/happenings. The conversation revolved in part around his last instructions (he passed away last year) regarding doing his happenings anew. His instructions were: ‘look at the documentation, reinvent the piece’. This was, in essence what I had done anyway – poured over Jeff Kelly’s book ‘Childs play’ with its black and white photos and first hand accounts – and invented the piece.


While those directives give license to a performer in the same way a score would, they also raise the danger that the original documentation becomes too fixed a point of reference. I had project managed Performa>07’s presentation of ’18 Happening in 6 Parts’, where a stage designer had been hired to rebuild the original 1959 loft space the event had happened in– from the original photos (1,000 square feet of mdf had a variable flooring pattern ripped into it on a table saw to replicate the original floors in the documentation). It’s a short step from there to making costumes from the 50’s and 60’s and rehearsing period accents. The result would be a contrived fidelity – a forced verisimilitude. It would be equivalent to a word-to-word computer translation that literalizes and flattens the language, losing syntax and meaning along the way.


In the end it was the students and the internal logic of the piece that brought it to life. Unlike a theatrical event where parts are memorized, or a FLUXUS score where a chart is given for a series of actions, FLUIDS is a task, like a bucket brigade or barn raising. We had 24,000lbs of ice and were going to build a rectangular enclosure. There was no script or directions, no manual for the right or wrong way to do it (beyond its size of 30 feet long x 10 feet wide x 8 feet tall), and the possibility of it failing or being hopelessly compromised – as with any task- was present.

The students took to it with enthusiasm, a crowd gathered to watch, passers-by asked what it was and strangers explained, contingent meanings flowed towards it (a crane was erected across the street, the workers came to admire our work as we had admired theirs), men in the park jeered the students, Allan Kaprow’s widow stopped by as did my girlfriend and daughter, the students all ate pizza together - and, in the middle of this activity I knew that the intelligence of the piece could only arise out of doing it, and that reinvention was, after all, the appropriate term–we were the first, doing it again.

By early afternoon we were on the outside of a space that we could no longer see inside of. When the students laid the last row of ice blocks at 8’, they closed in an empty space. While we knew there was ‘nothing’ there, as it were, (and I had seen that ‘nothing’ dozens of times in the documentation from 1967) it was a nothing that invited contemplation. It occurred to me that that interior space, unseeable and inexplicable, perfectly mirrored the ‘nothing’ that went into it’s making. Both were at once the purpose of the piece and perfectly invisible. In response to a question about when the ‘performance’ would start I overheard one of my students say, ‘this is it.’ You couldn’t really see it, but we were doing it.

Then it melted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching Fluids melt brought up memories of the many conversations in and out of class and for years afterwards, that I had with Allan over thirty-five years. Those conversations had ranged from psychology to politics to formalism to the works of others.

If Allan had been alive, I might have asked him what it was like to make Fluids on a cold November day on New York City concrete as compared to a hot summer day in Pasadena?

We might have compared what people wore on each occasion and what it means to handle ice half naked in the sun vs bundled in warm layers of swathing. We might have discussed at length, the difference between the smell of perspiration from sweating workers in 1967 vs the smells of New York City in the age of global warming. And we might have talked of the pollution swathed in frozen water.

The day of the 2007 Fluids event, Coryl Crane Kaprow and I discussed the pristine water in Swizerland that was specially made for that version of the Fluids event. We thought Allan would have preferred the funkier NYC version.

If I’d met the Fluids-workers, I might have asked the class what they thought about the irony of ice melting on the streets when ice is melting at the poles into floods around the world? To myself, I pondered the trickle of water surrounding Fluids compared to the floods that will take coastlines everywhere in just a few years. I kept waiting for a dog to pee on the ice but then it was surrounded by yellow tape and that was the end of my fantasy of yellow translucence.

If I’d eavesdropped on the students talking during or after the making, I might have made comparisons with our discussions three decades past, many of which remain vivid in my mind still. Perhaps it was fairest to both that I didn’t. Still, I would have liked to have had a glimpse of what was experienced this time around, as a student myself of their Fluids.

I wondered what kind of gloves you all wore for the work and what was the take-away? My mood that day was wistful for innocence and Allan. We were all so committed to immediacy and impermanence then. It was a double-edged sword. I’m glad it was all documented, both times: ice at the end of the Hippie era vs ice in the beginning of the Age of Global Warming.

Coryl and I took endless photos of the details of the ice as it transformed, melting and refreezing while we discussed Allan's conflicts and solutions over recreating work he never meant to repeat and how he resolved that by expecting it to be a new invention- if he was clever about his instructions. I considered how Allan taught me to build a performative structure that has that resilience to what is uncontrollable. The next day Coryl & I were still talking about the Zen of relinquishment, the discipline of choices.

That Saturday afternoon, at twilight fell, we headed down to Queens for “18 Happenings.” As the ice disappeared from my line of sight, we decided to stop at Starbucks. I gratefully held hot tea to my hands and we descended into the earth below Manhattan to take the subway. My take away is a memory from my father, shortly before he died, quoting from Latin, “tempus mutandis...” Time changes everything, including Fluids.

museo said...

Hi! Fluids has been "reinvented" again here in Genova (Italy) on Jan. the 25th and it came out (search me) as a square. You can see some images of the event on this blog. And the wall is shorter: who knows, maybe they ran out of ice.